2009-03-31

Drying Parts

Dad suggested I could use my forced-air heat (as limited as it is these days) to dry my chair parts faster. I did this a bit already with some stool legs, but I had figured these parts would be sitting around long enough to be dry by the time I'm done with the stool portion of the chair.

Tonight I turned a preliminary set of back posts (I'll see if I like the shape or not). Now I have all the turnings and spindles done for one chair, but the spindles are still much wetter than I expected. When I brought the parts upstairs to put them by a heating vent, I remembered another reason I didn't do this yet: there's no place upstairs the parts would be safe from kids using them as play swords, and probably hurting each other.

So, I set up a hanging support in front of the vent in the basement (and opened it, for the first time in years). It isn't enclosed, so it probably won't overheat things, but it'll be a lot more dry there. I also found a use for a few of those old botched leg turnings I had lying around...

No comments:

Post a Comment