To be more specific: this is my newly renovated DBA army II/5a, Later Hoplite Greeks: Spartans. I didn't actually rebase them, I only redecorated the bases they were already mounted on. Not very dramatic, I know; but I don't have a bottomless pit handy, so it was the next best thing.
|The army arrayed: DBA II/5a, Spartans. Essex DBA v1 army pack.|
|The left half of the line: 6x4Sp.|
|5x4Sp(Gen), 1x2Ps. General is on the far left.|
By the time I came back to DBA years later, my basing standards had improved. These guys were painted well enough, but they looked like they were standing in a pool of toxic waste. I repainted the ground brown, and added flock and static grass. It's as close as I can come to my current basing technique without fully rebasing the figures.
I also took the opportunity to reattach spears and do some touchups. They won't be winning any painting contests, but I'll feel better using them... and at least I don't have to paint another 11 elements of hoplites any time soon.
Now that I know a bit more, I don't like these figures (or any Essex hoplites) for a few reasons. Essex hoplite shields are too small, aren't as round as they could be, and have no rim. The single pose doesn't bother me, because I prefer a "toy soldier" look for heavy foot. However, I absolutely cannot stand forward-facing spears: they're unusable in practice on such shallow bases, even if they more or less accurately depict fighting hoplites. In the future if I build any more hoplites, they'll all be holding their spears upright.